Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Two Recipes

Here are two different quinoa recipes I've tried and think are great! FYI - rinse off your quinoa before you cook it.

This first one is from my friend Jana (thanks!!)

3/4 c. quinoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1 2/3 c. frozen corn, cooked
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 c. salsa
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 Tbsp. cilantro - chopped

Combine quinoa with 1 1/2 c. water and heat to boiling. Stir in salt, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. Set aside.

In large bowl combine corn, beans, and salsa. Stir in quinoa, lime juice, and cilantro.

(I also added chicken to mine and made it complete meal. Very yummy! Tyler thought it was a bit too spicy so I should probably try mild salsa next time.)

The second recipe I got out of my SELF magazine awhile back. I use it as a side to fish or chicken a lot.

1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 Tbsp. pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown, 2 minutes
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (I use 1 Tbsp. dried)

Bring quinoa and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer until quinoa absorbs liquid, about 15 minutes. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, about 6 minutes. When quinoa is done, fluff with a fork and transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in onion, pine nuts and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

(I realize pine nuts are a bit expensive and I've made this dish without them several times, but I really like the flavor and crunchy texture they add.)

3 comments:

Lacie said...

wow ill have to try em out, im always looking for new recipes and food to try. and by the way you havent "followed" my blog yet! :)

deatherages said...

Teri!
Are you still up for a playdate? I can make it out of the house now and I would love to see you. Are you having a shower?
Joy

Brittani said...

After reading this a while back I decided I wanted to try it! So off to Winco I went (yes we have one now!) and bought some....later that day Mara dumped it all over the kitchen floor!!!!!! Holy mess...she's lucky she's still alive. Anyways, I finally got some more so I'll be trying it soon. Super excited!